Monday, June 30, 2014

Travel in Style: w/ a kid edition

H&M chambray top | Zara jeans | German loafers | Liz Claiborne carry-on

You know what's worst than a crying baby/toddler on an airplane?! When its YOUR crying baby/toddler on that airplane. This past weekend, we took a trip to Arizona for my fiance's family reunion. I've been the one with the crying kid and its a horrible and embarrassing feeling so lets talk about the things that I feel are essential to smoothly traveling with your little ones!

1. Dress Comfortably
This one may be kind of self explanatory. No one likes being uncomfortable, especially children! Generally for travel purposes I dress my sons in jeans and a collared polo or t-shirt or a play set. Especially now that we're smack in the middle of the potty training. Who likes having to take off crazy amounts of clothing just to pee?! Even worst on an airplane! Being comfortable is definitely essential. Have you ever gotten really dressed up, only to go thru airport security and have to disassemble your entire ensemble?! This is why this rule applies to you too!

2. Entertain them
I remember when I was little, traveling with my 2nd family, the Radix's. Her mom would pack us each a backpack with little activity books. In today's society, we all have tablets and smart phones. Same thing. And if you don't have iPads or Galaxy notes for your kiddo, a VTECH equivalent will suffice. And if even that is out your budget, grab a couple of their favorite toys. In terms of noise, everyone is usually asleep or wearing headphones anyway, so as long as its not overly loud, you'll be fine. & again, your little one may just fall asleep, so don't forget to pack something for yourself!

3. Bring the crunchy munchies
We all love food. & our kids are not excluded from this. & airport/airline food is ridiculously overpriced. Personally, I like zip lock bags of wheat thins, nilla wafers, and/or pretzels that we pack at home. Here's another helpful tip: if you let the TSA agent know that your regular sized bottle of water or juice is for your little one, they'll allow it threw the checkpoint. So there really is no need to purchase food while at the airport (unless you have multiple connections). My son is at the age now where he wants to carry his own things, and by all means I support his independence. As seen in the picture below, he pulls his own bag and carries his own backpack. Of course, these are for the shorter trips where his bag is lighter and doesn't need to be checked.

4. Remember the odds & ends
This includes things like neck pillows, blankets and change of clothes. I always travel with these items. I think it's just kind of self explanatory for these. So I hope this list was helpful and helped to bring things into perspective. What are some essentials that you use when traveling with your families?! I'd love to know!

xo,

Glenesse



No comments:

Post a Comment